When it comes time to downgrade your idevice for jailbreaking you need to have saved your SHSH blobs. SHSH blobs can only be saved while Apple is signing the firmware – as soon as a new one is released Apple will stop signing for the previous one so it’s important to backup your blobs regularly. There are several different methods for doing so and it can be a little difficult to understand which one is the best one. Here we are going to look at the 4 Best methods in use for Saving your iOS SHSH Blobs.
Image : How to Save SHSH Blobs
It’s nearly time for another jailbreak and that means only one thing – you must save your SHSH blobs. It’s vital to have these saved if you want to downgrade to iOS from a later version so it’s a good idea to get into the practice of doing it before you upgrade anyway . Below we are going to show you exactly how to do it .
Steps to Save iOS SHSH Blobs :
- Go to our TinyUmbrella Download [ext link] page and download TinyUmbrella for whichever computer operating system you are using. Like Windows , Mac OSX or Linux .
- Save the application to your desktop and then launch the application.
- Connect your iOS device to your computer.
- You should now see a list of connected devices appear on TinyUmbrella – click on your device on the left hand panel as shown in the image below .
- Select the Advanced tab and make sure that the following 2 options do NOT have a check mark against them > Save ALL Available SHSH and >Request SHSH From Cydia
- Select where you are going to save your SHSH blobs to – the best place is a folder on your desktop so you know exactly where they are.
- Select the Log tab and then click on Save SHSH. TinyUmbrella will now try to save the SHSH blobs for the firmware and save it to your selected directory. If it all works you’ll see the message SHSH Successfully Saved.
- Open the directory that you specified for the blobs to be saved to and check that the blob is present. Make sure that it has the right device name and firmware label as well.
This is aimed at saving SHSH blobs for current signed firmware. If you want to be able to get previous SHSH blobs you saved that are no longer being signed, leave the 2 options from step 5 checked.
iFaith is perhaps the next best choice for saving your 6.1.2 SHSH blobs. It is a piece of desktop software that has been developed by iH8sn0w but it is only for Windows users so Mac users will need to use an alternative system.
- Download iFaith – the latest version will support up to 6.1.3
- Extract and save the software to your desktop and then connect your device to your PC
- Open it and click on Show available SHSH/Cache on server
- You will be asked to connect to the iFaith or Cydia Server, say Yes
- Say Yes to Fetch and Submit SHSH blobs for iOS 6.1.2
- Now iFaith will carry out this task – fetch the blobs from your device and submit them to Cydia.
As with TinyUmbrella, your blobs are saved locally giving you an alternate option to retrieving them.
When you jailbreak your device and install Cydia on to it, your SHSH blobs are automatically saved to Cydia’s servers. As soon as you launch Cydia you will be able to see a list of saved blobs at the top of the screen. There have been some reports of Cydia not saving 6.1.2 blobs for everybody so it may be wise to use an alternative method that stores them locally as well. You can also send your blobs to Cydia using software such as TinyUmbrella, iFaith and Redsn0w.
iSHSHit is an extremely popular Cydia package that allows you to save blobs for just about any firmware version.
- Download iSHSHit from Cydia – just type it in search and follow the instructions
- Open iSHSHit and tap on Firmware; pick the latest version of the firmware
- Now tap on Save
- Once the blobs have been saved, tap on Manage; this will send your blobs to you by email.
It really is down to personal choice which method you use to save your SHSH blobs. However, you can only downgrade iOS devices that are on an A4 chip or below. Those who have the iPhone 4S or 5 for example cannot downgrade from 6.1.3 to 6.1.2.
Save SHSH Blobs without TinyUmbrella
Normal procedure when you are about to upgrade or jailbreak your iOS device is to save your SHSH blobs before you do anything else. Unfortunately, the normal tool used for this,TinyUmbrella, has not been updated to support iOS 6.1.2 so many are concerned about how to save their blobs. There are ways to do it without using TinyUmbrella – here are some of the methods:
Cydia is set to automatically save SHSH blobs for 6.1.2 when the device is jailbroken using evasi0n. However, some users are reporting that this isn’t always happening. If this is the case, use one of the alternative methods below.
This is a highly popular Cydia package for saving SHSH blobs and it will allow it for any firmware. Just do a search in Cydia for iSHSHit and download it. Once it is installed, launch it and tap on Firmware. Select the latest version and then tap Save. When the SHSH blobs are saved tap on Manage; this will send your blobs to you by email so you can use them in the future.
One of the better alternatives to TinyUmbrella, iFaith is a piece of desktop software that was created by iH8sn0w. Download it from here link and extract it to you desktop. Make sure your device is connected to your computer and then click on “Save Available SHSH / Cache on Server”. You will be asked if you want to connect to the server for Cydia or iFaith, click on Yes. You will then be asked to “Fetch” and “Submit” SHSH blobs for latest iOS for your device. Click on “Yes”. iFaith will now proceed to submit the relevant blobs to the Cydia server for you.